Every driver knows what’s under the hood – the engine. But few know how it works aside from burning the gas you put in the tank. It’s an intricate machine that produces amazing amounts of power, and it requires careful maintenance and servicing to keep it functioning as it should.
When something isn’t working quite right with your engine, bring it to Xavier’s Auto Center in Philadephia, PA. Our friendly, knowledgeable staff and experienced ASE-certified technicians will get you up and running once again.
How does the engine work?
A gas-powered engine needs three things to operate: fuel, air, and a spark, all at precisely the right time in each cylinder.
- Air and fuel mix are drawn into the combustion chamber through the intake valve as the piston moves downward – the ignition stroke.
- As the piston comes back up, the intake and exhaust valves close and the piston compresses the air-fuel mixture – the compression stroke.
- The spark plug emits a spark near the top of the compression stroke, igniting the air-fuel mixture and forcing the piston downward – the power stroke.
- As it comes back up, the exhaust valve opens and the burnt gases are pushed out of the combustion chamber – the exhaust stroke.
- The process then repeats hundreds or even thousands of times per minute.
Many things need to work in perfect coordination for the engine to run. The engine timing needs to be spot on, there needs to be a precise mix of air and fuel, and it needs proper lubrication and cooling at all times.
What causes engine problems?
Every engine has hundreds of parts and each one has to perform its role reliably. Engine repairs are often due to lack of maintenance including severely neglected oil changes and cooling system flushes. However, it could be an unexpected failure of a sensor, a fuel injector, damaged wiring, leaking seals, or poor fuel condition, for example.
Symptoms indicating you need an engine repair of some kind include:
- An illuminated Check Engine Light
- Rough running
- Lack of acceleration
- Hard starting
- Poor fuel economy
- Knocking or rattling noises from the engine
- Oil leaking underneath
If you notice one or more of these symptoms or any other engine-related problems, it’s important to get it checked soon.
What does engine repair cost?
The range of problems that can cause engine issues is almost too many to name and as a result, the cost to repair ranges dramatically. A simple repair like a MAF sensor might be a couple hundred dollars while a severely damaged engine will cost thousands to repair or replace.
At Xavier’s Auto Center, our expert technicians will diagnose the root cause of your symptoms, then report back to you on how best to take care of it. We provide a completely transparent process that puts you in the driver’s seat for your repair decisions. Once a repair option is selected, we’ll complete the engine repair using top-grade OEM or aftermarket parts that are proven to last so you won’t see the same concern anytime soon. We even warranty the repair for a full two years or 24k miles.